Saturday 7 December 2013

Germination of Utricularia gibba

A flower of U. gibba


I know! No-one dare to propagate U. gibba from seeds as it is the easiest aquatic bladderwort species to grow. So it is just a curiosity to go through it.

I used a 500 ml plastic bottle as its container. And as for water in the bottle, I boiled mineral water with a pinch of peat. So its colour is slightly brown. After the water cooling down, I put the seeds in the bottle. First of all, they were floating around the neck of the bottle but soon later sinking down on the bottom. 


The seeds; to obtain seeds, it seems to be better to self-pollinating.


Then approximately 3 weeks after sowing, I found a very tiny green thread floating up and down in the water. It already has some bladders on it. And a bit later on I confirmed some more germinations.



the germination of U. gibba


And soon later they got entangled together like fishing nets. They grew amazingly fast. So I gave up counting how many buts appeared......  


2 months later after sowing

No comments:

Post a Comment